[NTLK] Airport web surfing from Newton

From: Donald J. Ryan (DJRyan_at_bellsouth.net)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 12:30:52 EST

I've got the WaveLAN driver loaded on my MP. The card is recognized and does
interact with the base station...but since it only supports AdHoc Mode 3
(computer-to-computer), I can not surf the "net" with it.

I don't see much advantage using the computer-to-computer mode. I still have
to install the WaveLAN card in my Newt and still have to go to the computer,
set the airport up for a computer-to-computer mode on channel 3, then load
NCU in order to communication with the desktop computer. To me, it's just a
lot easier and faster to plug in my ethernet card in my Newt, then launch
NCU and sync/transfer that way. The connection is fast and stable.

What I really would like to do with Airport compatibility is to be able to
surf the internet and check email via the Newton. It's way easier to grab
the Newton and slip-in the WaveLAN card to sit down in the morning for
coffee and check emails than it is to haul out my TiBook...just isn't
practical. Plus there is no need to mess with the desktop computer to get
functionality.

The WaveLAN drive I'm using is from Hiroshi Noguchi at
http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm but this driver was last
updated on June 2001. His web site says "This version is test release. So,
please don't ask any questions."

Does anyone know of a more recent driver that will allow the Newton to
connect to the internet via AirPort ???

Thanks!

Donald Ryan