Re: [NTLK] Another Battery Miracle!

From: Johannes Wolf (jwolf_at_xe.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 03:51:38 EST

I would not call it a miracle.
If you have a lot of rechargeable batteries and different charging devices
you will make this experience sooner or later as well:
the Newt does not have a simple charging method as you will find for cheap
charging devices, which apply a constant current until you disconnect the
battery.
Like more intelligent charging devices the Newt will apply a charging
current and then check the battery voltage. If the voltage has not increased
by a certain value (as it happened in your case) the Newt "assumes" that the
battery is dead and stops charging.
If you repeat this cycle (as you did) the Newt will start this cycle once
again by adding a certain charge to the battery, which still might be not
enough to increase the battery voltage sufficiently.
As soon as the "starting voltage" is reached the Newt will continue charging
the battery until the charging end voltage is reached.
Doing this (including the discharge) you will also perform what is called
"formatting" the battery.
If you run the complete cycle a few times there are good chances to get back
to the full battery capacity.
No miracle, no mystery.

Johannes