Re: [NTLK] NCU and Windows 2000

From: André Baron (abaron_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 08:18:27 EST

I to have this problem but I believed I fixed it (I havn't yet done a
full backup because I do't have patience, but you will see why) First
off, if you have a way to get the 56k serial pakage on your newt do it,
It much faster. Next install NCU and run it for the first time, there
it will want you to select the serial port that your are going to
connect it to, select the appropriate one and then quit. Now, using the
windows run command (shortcut: windows key and R) and type regedit.
 This will bring up the registry editor, where your going to put in the
information to set it up to do 56K serial connections. Navigate this
path: H_KEY_CURRENT_USER->Software->Apple->Newton Connection
Utilities->Communication. On the right hand side you'll see, among
other things, a listing of serial ports, find the port that you are
using to connect and double click on it, and change the number where it
says 38400 to 57600. There you have now set it up to do 56K connections
to the newton.

Next I recommend getting slowdown, I don't remember where I found it but
email me if you can't find it. Slowdown doesn't seem nessecary to
install apps, but to backup it is. Connect the newt and start the
backup, now DON'T TOUCH the PC and it should work. (It may help to quite
currently running apps) As I said I havn't done a full backup to be
sure because I don't have the patience to leave my computer and newt sit
that long at work, but I beleive it should work.

If anyone has any ideas on making this connection more reliable I'm open
to trying them. Also I don't know if detialed instructions such as this
are in the faq but if they aren't maybe we should add 'em, it seems to
be an issue that pops up frequently enough.

André

Hardware used: Dell Inspiron 7000 w/winblows 2k/256meg RAM/400mz Celery
and a Newton 2100