[NTLK] NCU backup -1 errors - known fix?

From: Anthony Velasco (ecotone_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 02:02:31 EST

I ran into the -1 error problem today using NCU backup over a Win2K 1Ghz -
timely enough to tie into the recent thread. The fix ended up being
different from the standard answer one gets when inquiring on the list...
thusly, I am reporting it here.

I was performing a synch/backup and wanted to try the suggestion that
slowdown.exe was not needed for synch (it is necessary for backup), and
indeed this also is supported in my experience today. But, when I began the
backup I got a persistent -1 error. I tried the standard list: tweaking the
com port speed, flow control and FIFO buffers, and tried running multiple
instances of slowdown. I even tried one or two possible causes in NCU setup.
Many reboots - painful! But still no relief from "-1", argh!! Possibly
remembering months ago advice, and maybe not even related to this particular
problem, I moved the contents of the backup directory to another drive,
effectively deleting the contents of the previous backups from the assigned
backup directory... Houston, we have backup!! Of course, it took a while to
build the new files on the pc, but it was a 100% backup.

Anyone else have success using this, or other infrequently reported method?
I seem to remember someone suggesting soup deletion in the past?

             Anthony Velasco
      USFWS-Ecologist/ecotoxicologist

             ecotone_at_mac.com

"just another birds and bunnies kinda guy...
next time look up and wave to me
in that black helicopter in the sky."

-this Newt's trekking through cactusland
              and lov'n it!