Re: [NTLK] DataRescue problem

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 08:36:30 EST

on 22/02/02 07:01, Gruendel, Frank 3837 S-WF-RD6 at
Frank.Gruendel_at_de.heidelberg.com wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> someone asked me this, I'm at a loss. Can somebody help? Please cc to
> frank_gruendel_at_t-online.de as I'm on the digest version.
>
>> report: I've got a broken screen (which will not accept any input) on my
> 130 which is running NOS 2.0 (I think).
>> I tried using Data Rescue in order to get my data before replacing the
> screen however when I insert the card a
>> dialogue box that I can partially see and looks like it's asking if I want
> to mount the card. So...Data Rescue
>> does me no good at this point. Any ideas? Thanks!

No idea. This has been reported to work many times. Can you check with him
that Data Rescue is the only thing on the card? If there is something else,
maybe that something else is trying to do something, prompting the Newton OS
to mount the card.

I've never tried it myself, but maybe that even though a dialog is presented
when the card is inserted, Data Rescue will do its job anyway? Did he try
setting up a serial connection with his computer with NCU running and
waiting for the Newton? Usually, when you insert a card, a dialog is shown,
but that doesn't mean you have to close it in order for the programs on it
to start working.

Anybody used Data Rescue care to comment?

-Laurent.

casting the runes n.: What a guru does when you ask him or her to run a particular program and type at it because it never works for anyone else; esp. used when nobody can ever see what the guru is doing different from what J. Random Luser does. Compare incantation, runes, examining the entrails; also see the AI koan about Tom Knight in "Some AI Koans" (Appendix A).