Re: [NTLK] ANN: NewTen (Mac OS X package installer)

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sat Feb 23 2002 - 07:00:01 EST

>Wow that sounded easy, incredible !
>
>So this is a package installer, no backup etc. right ?
>
>(just making sure and not getting my hopes up too much)

For backups, you need to either:
- use a protocol of your own with some package on the Newton (makes
restores more complex). A possible candidate is Sloup.
- use Apple's DILs, but they can't be simply carbonized, and hack around them
- solve the DES problem and write an equivalent of Apple's DILs

I think the project that went the farthest in this quest is the DCL
(http://ngfun.free.fr/dcl.html). It only does TCP/IP on MacOS X,
though, so it requires an additional package.

I'm focusing on ATA Support right now, and anyway, until I get a
computer that can host and run MacOS X and the development tools
properly, the only developer involved is Nicolas Zinovieff.

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/