Re: [NTLK] NUGWash Rollcall?

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Sat Feb 23 2002 - 23:22:16 EST

on 23/02/02 00:30, Ed Kummel at tech_ed_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> We're still on for this, right? I have down the
> Clarendon Apple Store anywhere between 1pm and 8pm!
> While I can't guarantee a 1pm arrival time (don't wake
> up that early and haven't been "to the city" in ages)
> I will be there!
> My Newton will depend on if it survives another
> operation tonight!

Well, I thought that someone would have posted something, but it appears
that nobody did. Sean Luke won't post because, as I found out this
afternoon, he considers chatting on NewtonTalk is a waste of time, maybe it
is for him... As long as he brings us things like Waba and the blowfish
extension, I won't complain ;-)

So, anyway, I'm a little bit tired since I'm coming back from a hockey game,
after I went to the office coming from the Clarendon Apple store.

The NUGWASH meeting was a real success as we increased the number of
participants by almost 50%.

Those that were there, besides me, were Sean Luke, Paul Filmer, Zachery Bir,
Victoria (hmmm, shame on me I forget her last name!) and her husband, and
last, but not the least, Ed, our technical guru in person! Considering that
we were only 4 the last time, I think it's a great success!!!

Paul had a few 2100s to resell to converts, I don't know if he sold many
while there, but I've seen a few times customers in the store stopping by
and asking and checking what we were doing, as well as a few Apple store
representatives that were very nice, BTW.

I did have a blowfish presentation from Sean who wrote it. For those that
don't know, blowfish is a package that you can use in an application that
will let you encrypt the data that are saved in a soup. So, I was checking
with him how hard and how much work would be needed to integrate blowfish in
GeekSafe, since a few people did ask for something similar. I thought about
adding it to GeekSafe during our meeting, but I didn't have enough time and
I decided to hold off.

What I'm going to do is that I'm officially announcing that I will make a
few version of GeekSafe with data encryption that will be available at our
next NUGWASH meeting that should take place sometime around mid-March (when
ooW eeL will be visiting us). Those that won't show up will have to wait
before getting that version. I hope that this will bring a little bit of
excitement to the next meeting. So, see you there!

That's pretty much what I have to report. I had to leave the first, around
4:30pm, to go back to the office, so I don't know what happened next. Most
likely someone, maybe Paul, will post a final report.

-Laurent.