Re: [NTLK] Another Battery Miracle!

From: Daniel Joannidi (djoannidi_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 20:13:41 EST

on 2/22/02 1:25 AM, Daniel Ho at hod_at_mac.com wrote:

> Yeah, for some reason, the plug in/plug out thing tricked the Newt into
> charging the battery. I discovered it completely by accident while playing
> with the Newton.
<snip>

This plug / unplug trick is common for NiMH or LiION Batteries - we used it
to help iBooks and PowerBooks recognize and start charging batteries that
were depleted and no longer regonized.

In fact, there's a KBase Article that describes this technique as an
official 'work-around' for super-depleted batteries.

Each time you insert a battery into the iBook and probably the Newton, the
system administers a super burst of power, then it checks the current on the
battery - if it's above a certain threshold - then it starts to charge.
However, batteries depleted too much will fail to cross the threshold. THus
they don't get charged.
If you insert/remove/repeat several times, it administers several
'super-bursts' and can sometimes push the battery over the threshold!
Your milage may vary, but it's a tried and proven method!

--
Daniel Joannidi Smith
djoannidi_at_mac.com

Phone: 512/619-5459