[NTLK] No, I'm not an ingrate...

From: Jim Hill (jimhill_at_swcp.com)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 23:53:17 EST

I just don't have enough sense to send a collective thankyuh to the list
instead of one lucky person. I'd written this earlier but I don't think
it got to the list:

Once upon a time, James Elliott dressed so fine,
Threw the bums a dime, admired my ripped-off rhyme, and sent email:
> Just so you know, PackType (which I assume is the app you are
> referring to) does not work under OS X. If you have OS X, then I
> suggest that you use Package Converter.

Thank you for the tip. I've been having quite the little adventure
trying to get everything all working. The guy who sold me a 2100 sent
it with all the goodies -- including NCU on floppies. My PBG4 has no
floppy drive, internal or external, so I had to blow the dust off an
LC III I was given many years ago (thanks be that I never throw ANYTHING
away on the grounds that as soon as I do I will invariably need it). I
had upgraded it to 12MB RAM and an Ethernet card but it still has the
lowly 40 MB, yes, MB hard drive.

The LC III was therefore network-capable but since it preceded the
explosion of the net it completely lacked any appropriate software. To
get that, I had to do the floppy shuffle with a Linux PC and the
hfsutils. 19 shuffles later, I had the OS upgraded to 7.5.5. 4
shuffles got Open Transport. Couldn't install it, so 3 more got Disk
Copy installed and then Open Transport went on. Eventually I got an
ancient Fetch installed. Then the happyhappyjoyjoy: the software I
was after to set all this in motion didn't appear to be sitting on any
ftp sites; 'twas all http webserved. Spent a long time trying to find a
web browser that would (1) fit on what was left of the hard drive and
(2) run in what was left of the RAM. Failed miserably, so I hit upon
the idea of downloading what I needed on the PowerBook and using Fetch
to get it to the LC III. That's where I first hit the need for PackType
or similar utility.

Somewhere in there my frustration boiled over and I set off this little
thread. Before staggering off to bed at 4:45 am, I looked at one of my
web pages with Newt's Cape, through the ethernet card. Victory is mine.
Now I just have to find sufficient freeware utilities.

OK, so it's not an Icelandic saga but it was my day. Thanks to all who
wrote both on and off the list to offer suggestions and software.

Jim

--
                         jimhill_at_swcp.com
        Visit www.marrow.org -- because there is no substitute.

"If I were John and you were Yoko I would gladly give up music genius."