[NTLK] Back to the Newt /PDA Panache..

From: Daniel Ho (hod_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 21:32:07 EST

After years of being away from the Newton, I picked up a used unit on line
and am going through the Newt's learning curve again.

My memory retention is fairly pathetic for operating any bits of hardware.
If it isn't obvious, after a few months... I don't know it! With that in
mind, after a day or so of mucking around with the unit in between meetings,
the Newt is once again a productive tool.

So far, all is well. My biggest problem with adopting the Newt again is the
fact that the Newt is TOO simple. After years of messing with Unix boxes, it
amazes me that all the low level OS considerations are taken care of. No
saving files, instant power on, etc. This really messes you up if you are
used to more machine-like OS's!

The basic functionality is all here and ready to go. The only thing that I'm
doing now is loading the Newt up with small apps and enhancements to make my
time on it easier and more enjoyable.

Another thing that is great are the PDA Panache pens. I'd forgotten all
about them until late last week when a couple list members told me that I
HAD to get one. I never used one before but thought "what the hell". They
are fairly inexpensive, seem well built, and best of all, they still make
the version that will fit into the pen slot of the 2100!

I ordered late Thursday night from their website and received it in the mail
today. Cross-border from Bellport, NY to Toronto in one business day. How
great is that?

In terms of functionality, I wasn't sure what to expect. I thought that the
original one was pretty good. However, this stylus win hands down. My
accuracy is way up! The nib is a funky orange that I quite like and it is a
bit longer than the original so there is a bit of flex which makes writing
on the screen a bit less "synthetic" than it was. The body is machined out
of a piece of aluminium and painted black-very nicely done!

This accessory is enthusiastically recommended!

Cheers,
Dan

--
Daniel Ho/Toronto