Re: [NTLK] Avantgo (was: Lotus Notes (warning - long))

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 09:06:16 EST

> From: Zachery Bir <zbir_at_urbanape.com>

>>> From: Raj Patel <rpatel_at_accelrys.com>

>>> I think the killer palm app has to be avantgo (I know you
>>> can get it for PocketPC too) which I'd kill for on the
>>> Newt (so quick on a palm with so little horsepower).
>>>
>>> Any chance Newtscape could be cut down to offer Avantgo
>>> style functional minimalism (presumably the Avantgo channel
>>> spec is public) ?
>>

>> On Monday, February 25, 2002, at 02:58 , Steve Weyer wrote:

>> can you look at existing Avantgo channels, i.e., providing HTML
>> via http:
>> or is some other format and/or protocol being used?
>>
>> [I look at very quick look at what docs are avail to developers on the
>> avantgo site, but wasn't sure where to start...]
>
> Perhaps a better place to look would be at Plucker, given their
> Open Source bent on the whole AvantGo system.
>
> <URL:http://www.plkr.org/>

the Plucker site looks interesting, though in describing the differences
from Avantgo their FAQ says:

"AvantGo parses compressed (read: "encrypted") HTML on the Palm device
itself; Plucker parses uncompressed HTML on the server, and sends an
interpreted version to the Palm."

so, I'm not sure Newt's Cape could do much with either of these:
- if Avantgo's HTML docs aren't accessible --- "encrypted"/proprietary
- if Plucker's docs aren't HTML -- postprocessed into another format

or am I missing something obvious about how this could work?

>From: David Golden <ikondave_at_charter.net>

>I seem to recall, with what sliver of functioning memory that I still
> possess, that StandAlone produced an app called PaperBoy (?) that had a

Paperboy is a newsgroup reader (like InkSpot, Newtspaper)

--
Steve
  weyer_at_kagi.com