Re: [NTLK] "Router" Cards??? Was: BTI batteries

From: Gary Moody (gmoody_at_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 14:50:03 EST

Cards designed and/or private labeled for routers are fine, as long as their
use in router has been little to none.

Linear Flash has a life defined in read-write cycles. Each "cell"
(analogous to a track/sector) has a lifetime of 100,000 cycles.
Unfortunately, if even one cell goes bad, the card, for use in a Newton, is
hosed. The Newton has no way to map "bad cells" out, although PC and some
router format programs for flash cards can. (the Newton cannot use these
mappings - different format)

Cards used in a router for any length of time, particularly in busy routers,
can have this cycle lifetime used up in anywhere between 15 minutes and a
year or two. The same card, *never* used in a router, has a theoretical
lifetime of 5-20 years in a Newton.

Users on this list have bought cards previously used in routers, and they
immediately went bad or were DOA. Hence the warning. Caveat Emptor!

Regards,

Gary