Re: [NTLK] Newton and encodings.

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 16:40:28 EST

> Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:06:48 -0500
> From: "Laurent Daudelin" <laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com>
>
> On 26/02/02 12:01, "Apostolos Koutropoulos" <AdmiralAK_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> OK, big big question.
>> I have been using NewtonPress to do most of my books. Moving slowly away
>> from latin based languages (or "simple" latin based languugages) I was
>> wondering what kinds of encodings are available for the newton? I would
>> really like to be able to write (or tap on an on screen keyboard) in greek,
>> and several other languages.
>>
>> Anyone have any idea ? I wanted to write a few greek things up, as well as
>> some references to Russian, vietnamese and polish grammars.
>
> I don't know the specifics, but I can attest that I've seen chinese (or was
> it japanese?) and, more recently, russian on a Newton (wink wink, Paul F.!).
> Sean Luke could probably give you a headup about that.

I'm aware of Japanese, Chinese, Korean and Russian encodings for text.
Newt's Cape and SimpleMail should be able to handle these (and any others
created with GNUE's NTE Encoding package).
and of course you need corresponding fonts.

for some Newt's Cape screenshots:
http://bigweb.misty.com/weyer/newton/newtscape/screens/yahoo_2K.gif
http://bigweb.misty.com/weyer/newton/newtscape/screens/NJ_130.gif
http://bigweb.misty.com/weyer/newton/newtscape/screens/chinese.gif