[NTLK] Newton Backup Express from NewtBX@aol.com

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_eskimo.com)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 23:20:16 EST

Hi,

Back in 1998, a man named "Bob" responded to a Usenet posting I made
to comp.sys.newton.misc (remember that group?) lamenting the sad
state of Newton backups. He sent me a beta version of a program he
had been working on to solve that problem. It was a DIL (Desktop
Integration Libraries)-based backup program for the Macintosh. It had
working backup and restore capabilities -- it worked just fine on my
Newton where NCU would always plague me with -1 communication errors.

"Bob" was planning on going into a public beta phase and then
releasing it as shareware.

Then, all of a sudden, "Bob" stopped writing.

Flash forward to 2002. I've continued merrily using 1.0b4, the last
version Bob provided. It still works fine under Classic, backing up
and restoring via Appletalk with no -1 errors. After our recent
discussions about the problems with NCU backups I just realized that
I have never seen the software actually get released. I don't see it
on UNNA, and nothing comes up in Google under either the program name
or the last known e-mail address for the developer.

Could I be the only Newton user with a copy of Newton Backup Express?

I wrote an e-mail to the developer asking for permission to post it
to UNNA, but the e-mail bounced, so presumably "Bob"'s AOL account
was terminated in the 4 years since I last heard from him.

Can anybody shed some light? Does anyone here know who NewtBX_at_aol.com
is/was? Anyone else have this software?

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Bond Shepherd        |   "If I'm going to keep on visiting you,
San Francisco, CA           |   I'll have to send you some good sherry."

PGP Public key can be found on most servers.