Re: [NTLK] eMate hinge / display cable problem redux

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 02:07:05 EST

on 27/02/02 00:42, Michael Blazer at m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca wrote:

> 2. Regardless of which theory is right, there is a dire need to find a
> replacement for that darn ribbon cable. It seems such a shame that there
> are probably hundreds, maybe thousands, of eMates lying dead in closets and
> classrooms that only need that little cable to come back to life. Somebody
> on the list tried a contact at Apple who reportedly said they don't have any
> but that (IIRC) it was not a custom made part. (Although it's a very
> definite shape, with a right angle turn, so I'm not so sure.) So ... does
> anybody have any ideas where or how to look for this part? Or, would a
> custom manufacturing run be feasible? (I'm guessing probably not, unless
> you want thousands of them, but who knows?) There shouldn't be any problem
> getting a dead cable as a sample, and the connectors on the ends are
> probably all still OK. With the thousands (?) of people on this list, I'm
> hoping somebody knows about this particular corner of the industry. I'll
> bet some enterprising and skilled person with access to a supply of these
> cables could do a brisk business reviving all the dead eMates.

Count me in!

-Laurent.

casting the runes n.: What a guru does when you ask him or her to run a particular program and type at it because it never works for anyone else; esp. used when nobody can ever see what the guru is doing different from what J. Random Luser does. Compare incantation, runes, examining the entrails; also see the AI koan about Tom Knight in "Some AI Koans" (Appendix A).