[NTLK] Anniversary and ATA Support News

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 02:12:14 EST

Hi folks,

First, nobody seems to have wished it already, so:

Happy new Apple-free year to all our Newtons!

  ! ! ! !
============
| Big Cake |
------------

(yes, I think I'm better at cooking cakes than ASCII-drawing them).

Then, I secretly hoped to be able to release RC1 today.
Unfortunately, this is not likely to happen as I have several hours
of nap to take in university, and I noticed a bug yesterday night as
I was preparing things to serve web pages from my Newton. Apparently,
the object database engine isn't so stable, especially when the store
is getting full, and I have to fix that before releasing anything.
This is the bad news as I used to fix bugs in the object database
engine 3-6 months ago, and each bug took up to a week.

The good news is that with the new cache code I wrote, ATA Support
can compete with linear cards in matter of speed. Cf:
http://www.kallisys.com/newton/ata/ for a screen shot of Nick's Test
It benchmark. No, I haven't tried sound recording.

To Mark and other folks who might ask: ATA Support beta 12 is not
officially downloadable from the website because it has data
corruption bugs in it and RC1 will NOT mount stores created with beta
releases. Please be patient. You can still get it from the FTP
server, though.

Regards,

Paul

--
Looking for time. Please make an offer. Serious sellers only.
No need to ask, I won't trade my soul, I don't have any.