Re: [NTLK] UNNA error -39 macintosh .sea files

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 09:50:47 EST

at the temporal coordinates: 2/27/02 9:17 AM, the entity known as Victor
Rehorst at victor_at_newtontalk.net conveyed the following:

> Actually, I was under the impression that most SEA archives actually have
> resource forks, not just type/creator info. That file is dead for all
> intents and purposes. If someone with a Mac could binhex that file and
> upload it to UNNA, I would greatly appreciate it...

They do have resource forks, which is where the self-extraction executable
resides. If the type/creator info has been lost in transit somehow, then
the file appears as a generic document, the Finder tries to find the app
that opens it, fails and that's that. It doesn't know that it should try to
execute code in the file's resource fork. (Hmmm... I wonder if changing the
file type to that of an app would be enough???)

Of course, the other thing that sometimes happens is that if the file isn't
properly encoded, upon passing through a Windows or Unix box, the resource
fork can get stripped.

Regardless, it does need to be fixed. I don't have the early messages in
this thread, though. What's the file? And where does it need to be
uploaded?

- Eric.