Re: [NTLK] off topic messages and reply p.

From: Woo Lee (vitcitylb_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 15:05:02 EST

------------------
>happy new year, list!

Happy New Year to you to! :-)
------------------
>id like to ask all of you a favour, in order to make our daily life easier.

You meant 'your' life???
------------------
>week is very time-consuming and tedious, if a
>large part of them are little related to the topic.

Yoy want to be list-mom???
------------------
>***my own, subjective estimate - less than 1/2 of all posts are relevant***

My estimate hits 90%+ since it's Newt. related.
------------------
>what is even worse, is that, in my case i tend to delete msgs randomly when
>to many pile up in my "newton folder". this way, i refuse myself
interesting
>news and duscussions sometimes.

Spend more time with your 'important' Newton folder... ;-)
------------------
>i believe many other ppl suffer from the
>same plague.

It's called 'prefs.', everybody's 'prefs.' are different.
------------------
it is not fun to discover you have deleted useful information!

It sure isn't, that's why I do individual posts, each gets it's own
attention. :-D
------------------
>last, but not least, i never use my newt to read the newtontalk list.

Really??? I only use my Newts. to read the NTLK list, otherwise I feel
like I'm negelecting a main reason for my Newts. :-o But I do use
desktop/laptop for attachments(after I filter every attach. on my Newt.
first, what a firewall)
------------------
>i dont
>want to download tons of mail to the newton.

What if 'I' want to? 300+ a day on average.
------------------
>communication on a PDA must be
>efficient and fast.

It is, that's why I have a Newton, running at 215-mhz.
------------------
>i often use cellular connection, which means it is hard
>to defend the cost for downloading mails that you will not read. with
>9600bps, it is actually quite expensive too!

Switch to a LAN, it's your 'prefs.' to use cellular. I can also but I
'prefs.' not too.
------------------
>in order to change this saddening situation i propose a couple of changes:

You want to be list-mom???
------------------
>1. list maestros, please change the reply address so that it equals the
>original sender, instead of todays <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net>. this would
>save a whole lot of personal letters to slip out in public. i use other
>lists that have nearly as many users, but they dont get flooded that often,
>thanks to this policy.

This is a 'listserv'???
------------------
 (what would be avoided qite easily then, is the so
>common replies to "FS" msgs, completely irrellevan to everyone except for
>the two people involved in the deal.)

Yup, that's an individual 'prefs.' that the sender is at fault for, not the
listserv.
------------------
>2. list members, please use the FAQ <http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/>

Where's Victor/Laurent with the friendly reminders???
------------------
>3. list members, please use subject lines more active than today. many
times
>one can see mails that have spun off from its original thread. this is a
bit
>sad, when you expect to open a certain mail that turns out to contain
>something completely different from what was stated in the subject line.
>often, useful information is deleted because of this.

Yup, the sender should be more aware, and the reader has to spend more time
with their Newts. :-o
------------------
>4. list maestros AND list members, please do not hesitate to moderate the
>list more actively in those matters. i know it is a weired request to
>involve the list members also, since list maestros are the only one that
>should moderate, but in this case, i believe it is good if we all do what
we
>can to diminish the heavy mail burden of today.

I have no problems with the volume of this list or the others I'm on. No
burden, this I knew about and accept the good, the bad, and the 'ways of a
listserv'. ;-)
>thank you, all - let a fitter list be our new year promise!

Always!