Re: [NTLK] Re - Bad UPS stories...

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 15:20:15 EST

on 1/2/02 8:33 PM, Jon Glass at jonglass_at_usa.net wrote:

> on 1/2/02 6:08 PM, Frank Gruendel at Frank_Gruendel_at_t-online.de wrote:
>
>> This only works to a certain degree. Customs officials are inclined
>> to think everyone wants to cheat them, so they have a tendency not to
>> believe that low a declaration. In my experience this happens especially
>> when packets declared thus aren't very small in size.
>> The only quite safe way is to have the sender put an invoice into the
>> packet that looks as official as possible. Again, the sum mentioned there
>> should be one that doesn't sound too unlikely.

Re: my blank message, I have no idea what happened to what I wrote. I wrote
it, that I know, but what I wrote disappeared between the writing and the
appearing on the list. Here is my second attempt.

In the US, there is a term you can use that I know has worked sending items
to several countries. It is "No Commercial Value," or "NCV" for short,
although I recommend writing it out. I have personally received computer
items sent with this on the customs form, and they have come straight to my
local post office without being bothered by customs. I don't know if this
will work for Germany, but it's worth trying.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland