Re: [NTLK] Newtsicle

From: Dustin Long (dlong_at_tamu.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 16:17:44 EST

I've been silent so far, but I gotta say a couple things along this:

I'm not sure how cold "really cold" is. I'm near Houston, TX (USA) and
we had a cold snap this week. Temps in the 20's (F) last night and
supposed to be around 15 (F) tonight. (I think that's pretty cold, being
from Southern California!)

Several times I've left my Newt in the car overnight in weather like that,
and it wouldn't turn on when I first brought it back inside. After
letting it "warm up" to room temperature for several minutes, I've never
had a problem. The message when the machine restarted was invariably that
the system restarted because the battery was dead -- this happened both
with new(ish) alkalines and with my Newton-original rechargeable battery.

In none of these cases did I ever lose any data or have to recalibrate the
screen. There were some heart-stopping minutes during the "warm up" when
I had ugly ice crystals/water droplets under the screen (visible through
the LCD) when I was sure I'd finally killed my poor 2000.

And in none of these cases was the car locked. ;)

~Dustin