Re: [NTLK] Off topic messages (short)

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 22:14:18 EST

>>Jesse Garnier wrote:
>>
>>But somewhere around the 35th "me too" message for the
>>$180 Newtons, it occurred to me that the original message
>>should have solicited replies -- and had them sent --
>>off-list. Simple points of etiquette like that aren't
>>too much to ask... are they?

Sure that would have been nice. However, it's also nice to see the
number of folks who are interested as well.

Maybe it's me, but this kind of thing doesn't bother me in the slightest.
 Since I realize that the "me too" posts are just that, I just sort by
title and delete. Takes what, a minute or two to eliminate 30-40 posts.
Simple.

As for the bandwidth of downloading messages. Our messages are ASCII
single byte text. It takes hardly any bandwidth to download. Now if we
had 1 or 2MB attachments, that would be something else. But we don't.
Just simple text messages. No big deal!

Recently, most folks seem to be using the [OT] indicator as appropriate.
Titles changes seem to be getting better -- still have a few folks
quoting the digest without changing the subject.

Maybe a good rule of thumb to follow, after reading the FAQ, and the
entire thread that you want to respond to, is to ask yourself, do I have
anything to add? And if so, then post away.

Sushi