Re: [NTLK] iWalk?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 10:20:04 EST

Actually, I got that impression from the text and $J's
character.
In the text of the first page, it states, "Apple fans
should be happy to hear that the iWalk is not based on
the Palm OS. The OS shown in the video looks like a
blend between traditional PDA operating systems and
Apple's OS X."
As we all know from so-called "stripped down" desktop
OS's, they don't run desktop applications. And even if
this device somehow could run some OSX applications, I
doubt that applications destined for the desktop will
even fit in whatever memory it has. (bloatware has
affected all desktop machines)
Secondly, the article says, "We can clearly make out
Firewire, audio-in and audio-out ports. In the center
is a relatively large unmarked port which we speculate
as being a port for Apple's new Gigawire."
Firewire is an extremly limited port (only sony
devices, apples and certain PC designed for studio
work have such a port) Plus with the apple only
proprietary Gigawire, tells me that this device, like
the iPod is designed to only interface with Apple's
new initiative, "Apple Only" (this started with the
Apple's WiFi, Airport)
This is further strengthened by the "Jog-Dial" which
indicates that it holds more than a passing
resemblance to the iPod...And to borrow another que
from the iPod, since it was 1/3 more expensive than
it's nearest competitor, expect a device from Apple to
be about the same or $899! (Compaq iPaq retails for
between $599, with a manufacturer's SRP or $699).
So, once again, I'm not holding my breath...
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Robert Benschop <rbenschop_at_mac.com> wrote:

> on 03-01-2002 6:54, Ed Kummel at tech_ed_at_yahoo.com
> wrote:
>
> > hmmm, a new PDA with a new OS that is not
> compatible
> > with any existing OS...that'll take off...yeah!
> sure!
>
> Uuh, how did you come to that conclusion with only
> watching three pieces of
> video footage Ed ?
>
> Besides, we'll all see in 4 days time, won't we....
>
> If the iWalk turns out like the real thing I
> wouldn't be amazed if it would
> first be Mac only with WinTel connection soon
> afterwards (just to make Mac
> users feel privileged, since that seems to be the
> current policy)
>

> Robert Benschop

=====
- The Powerpuff Girls -