[NTLK] NCU DL Update...

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 22:13:12 EST

Update on my NCU Installing woes...

First, I found out that my version of Shrinkwrap (3.5.1) wouldn't work
with these images. That's a first for me. I've never had a problem with
Shrinkwrap before -- it usually works very well. So much so, that I
haven't used DiskCopy in years.

Second, thanks Chris for the DiskCopy suggestion. Simply forgot about
using it since I've been Shrinkwrap centric. Version 6.3.3 was installed
with the Mac OS. It was there all the time for me to use -- doh! I
tried it and it worked fine on image 1 and 3.

Third, the 2nd image continued to give me problems. I tried repeated
Downloads, by selecting the file in different ways. The result was the
same. Couldn't use the file. I finally copied the NCU file to my HD
from the floppy, then erased the floppy image, then copied the NCU file
back to the floppy. Prior to this, I ran Norton, Disk First Aid, and
some other apps to try and get it to work. But couldn't. When I tried
to mount using DiskCopy, the computer would freeze. BTW, has anyone been
able to DL and install NCU recently? Maybe it's my system, but the 2nd
image gave me problems.

Forth, In the middle of this, I realized that I have my Newton 2100 disk,
which has NCU on it. However, since I started this challenge I decided
to see it through. And used up a few hours of vacation time. I checked
my Mac, Reinstalled Shrinkwrap, etc.

Fifth, pressing shift, or holding the mouse over the link, gives the same
pop up menu. From there you can save a source or text. Pressing Option
then the link just caused the text file to be DL'ed directly. These
three techniques gave me the same result. Basically I got a text file.
YMMV.

Six, I appreciate all the suggestions and help everyone gave me. This
list is the best! :-)

Sushi