Re: [NTLK] [OT} Security (was-iWalk?)

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 14:23:03 EST

What makes me treat the Newt differently than a Laptop
is that my Newt goes places with me that my laptop
doesn't. On my 4mb card, I keep Geeksafe along with
all the items in Geeksafe. Additionally, because my
Newt is such a rarity, it attracts more attention. And
my Newt has on it's memory card, logon information for
some of the biggest fortune 100 companies web servers!
Good security practices don't need attention. I can't
take the risk.
Now, on my laptop, you can't log into it unless you
have an RSA security ID card. This prevents
unauthorized access to the computer and makes my
laptop very secure. I've played around with face
recognition and a really cool HP PC card that reads
thumbprints, but they all have a potential of giving
false positives.
What really sucks is leaving my RSA card at home. I
can't log in anywhere without it...
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Sushi <Sushi_at_ragingbull.com> wrote:

> >On 1/4/02 @ 8:39 AM, Ed Kummel wrote:
> >
> >I use a memory card for more that storage!
> >I need a memory slot! I'm not going to modify my
> >network connection for gigawire, or firewire...and
> >want the ability to swap files via memory card.
> >Additionally, I use it for security. My really
> secure
> >stuff is on a card that is not in the Newt!.
>
> I see Ed.
>
> I figure that if you have FW, it's so easy and quick
> to transfer and
> backup files, why bother with the card. Of course,
> with a PC Card you
> can use it in most PC's where as FW is not so widely
> deployed so I do see
> your point.
>
> Your security comment has my curiousity. If you use
> a laptop, do you do
> the same?
>
> If not, what makes you treat the Newt differently?
> Size?
>
> Sushi

=====
- The Powerpuff Girls -