Re: [NTLK] One of the new MAC...

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 01:41:46 EST

Well,
My equipment is rather varied and quite diverse. While
I don't own that particular Ricoh camera, I do own
several others. (as soon as I can come up with the
$1700 for that Ricoh, I will though.)
I have several servers in a cabinet that sits in my
basement. They are connected to the internet through
my DSL connection and I interact with them throughout
my house via an SMC wireless network connection.
My "workstations" are just minimal systems interacting
with my servers as clients through Terminal Server. I
have two keyboard-only computers. One is connected to
a 15" LCD and the other is connected to a 17" monitor.
I have several low end Dells with 17" monitors. All
connected via wireless networking. I use several OS's,
Win98, Win98se, WinME, Win2000, WinXP and WinNT (just
to run my exchange server) and several Win2000 Server
(several webservers).
I connect with my MP3 players (I own an original
RioPMP300 and just purchased a new one the Archos
Studio 20 with the 20gb hard drive for $288!:
http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10309215)
Plus, I have an embedded WinCE in my Jeep with a
wireless network card that I use to download my MP3s
wirelessly whenever my Jeep is either in the garage or
the driveway (sometimes, if I have to park on the
street, my Jeep cannot make a wireless connection)
I also have several Laptops (Dell again) with wireless
cards so I can work out on the patio when the weather
permits.
Honestly though? I'm not into DVDs yet...I'm waiting
for the market to stabilize first...
(btw, my house is equipped with wireless plugs so that
I can control my house from a computer. I also have my
house floor plan loaded as a secure web page that I
can view via a browser anywhere in the world and
control just by point and click. Plus wireless camera
and mic pickup. I can also change the front door
digital lock via remote anywhere. If I don't have a
computer, I can call into the house computer and using
voice prompts make changes to any of house functions I
choose. I'm working on having the house recognize
who's in a room at any given time and create the
environment that that person has programmed. Kinda
like "computer, ed program 1 please" and the lights
dim, the gas fireplace lights and the curtains
lower... <yes, my blinds are motorized> It's amazing
what can be done with those x-10 devices...don't be
deceived by those ads either, that's not the real x-10
company either!)
Ed
web/gadget guru

=====