Re: [NTLK] One of the new MAC...

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 03:42:30 EST

on 1/7/02 7:47 AM, BK at bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> Then again, Apple has often set trends and launched products ahead of
> standards having cristallised yet. Sometimes they bet on the right
> horse - the Newton's IRDA support is a good example for this - sometimes
> they don't, but at the time they launched it was hard to tell which
> standard would cristallise. In the end, when a standard emerges, most
> often Apple has embraced those standards then.

You are close, but it is Apple that sets the standards. It is because Apple
adopts a standard that it becomes the standard. Where was the 3.5 inch
floppy before Apple adopted it? Where was USB? How about Firewire, not a
standard yet, but my colleague just bought a Wintel laptop, and it has
Firewire. It is not that Apple guesses correctly, but by adopting a
standard, they plough the path that others follow. Even Gates has admitted
to that. Now, they may be wrong on occasion, but they are watched, and
manufacturers follow their lead. Trust me, you will be seeing computers soon
that are perched on lamp arms... :-) (and they will look as tacky as all
other imitations of the iMac have looked)

--
Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

'A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader." -- Samuel Adams