Re: [NTLK] Such a relief !

From: BK (bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 10:33:18 EST

On Tuesday, January 8, 2002, at 12:11 , Jon Glass wrote:

> on 1/7/02 12:00 PM, Robert Benschop at rbenschop_at_mac.com wrote:
>
>> I did say about three times on this list that I thought that it was all
>> about a new flat panel iMac, hate to be right though......
>
> I'm going to go out on a limb, and say I think there is more to this
> than
> just the iMac. I think there is something even more secretive in
> this--maybe
> a camera, maybe some other new hardware. If you didn't get to read the
> article, SJ stated that he admired Sony, and the gist was that he
> considers
> Sony to be his only rival (and certainly the only rival worthy of being
> Apple's rival). So, I think there will be something hardware to go with
> the
> iPhoto (sounds really cool, btw, it automatically downloads pics,
> creates a
> 'roll' of proofs that you can zoom in on, and allows you to give them
> real
> names, and store a whole catalog, oh, and for $20 or so, you can send
> in a
> bunch of photos, and get them back as a hardbound book) So I think
> there is
> going to be a camera also.

Well, that wouldn't be a first. Apple already had three cameras some
time back. I had one of those, the QuickTake 150. Bulky and awkward by
today's standards but quite a nice snapshot camera at the time.

If Apple comes out with a camera, please God let it be one with German
optics, please. A digital camera with a nice and easy to use design like
my IXY but with a lens from Carl Zeiss or even Ernest Leitz,
pleeeeeeeaaaaaaaassssseeeeee ......

Sony's got a camera with Carl Zeiss optics, have played with it in
Akihabara ... couldn't become friends with it, the design isn't really
ergonomic, I'd have sent 'em back to the drawing board as they described
SJ's habit in the article ;-)

Then there is the Lumix series of digital cameras with Leitz optics. Saw
this on a poster in a Tokyo subway train and thought Wow! A digital
Leica - that's terrrrrriffffic! But do you think they would have the
camera anywhere ? Not even at Bic Camera in Shinjuku, which is a
department store with everything you could possibly imagine related to
cameras on 4 floors. They have virtually everything there Leica
including some vintage stuff, but no Lumix ... Vapourware ?

An Apple QuickTake with Leitz Optics .... Now that would be something.
Could turn the entire photo geek world into Mac users, but will probably
remain wishful thinking. :-(

rgds
bk