Re: [NTLK] [OT] Bigger than iWalk

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 15:44:50 EST

on 1/7/02 3:25 PM, BK at bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> Yes, internet related software is often involved when it comes to
> crashes or freezes but what excuse is this ? The internet is now part of
> office life and therefore I expect the software to work. Heck, it works
> on Unix boxes - there isn't any excuse.

The problem is that the internet is as fickle as you can get. It isn't like
a local network with fairly consistent loads and data. Anything can and does
come down the pike, and the poor web browser is expected to handle it all,
and worse, to handle it all gracefully. You have html, horrible html, and
the absolutely worst html, Java, bad Java, and the worst Java, flash, and
who knows what-not all coming down the pipe. Instead of calling it plumbing,
maybe we should call it the sewage. You also have the inconsistencies of
speed and other garbage. I can imagine that no web browser that is designed
to handle it all can really do so. :-) Here is a question, do Newton
browsers ever crash or cause problems? I know that I have never gotten one
to work properly on either my 120 or 130. Do they ever die on a 2k series or
eMate??

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams