Re: [NTLK] [OT] On the iMac.

From: David Brown (sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 21:05:43 EST

>>On Monday, January 7, 2002, at 04:37 PM, Steven wrote:
>>
>>Wouldn't any one on the list prefer to select and buy
>>their own speakers so they can buy speakers that match
>>their personal tastes...or do we want to hand all
>>decision making over to SJ
>
>On Mon, 07 January 2002, Vernon LeMoignan wrote:
>
>I definitely agree. the first thing I did was buy a
>decent set of speakers.

Guys, you miss my point. The iMac is touted as an all-in-one device. SJ even stressed that point during his presentation.

An iMac is not a tower Mac. It is an easy to use complete system. The original iMac through the latest model, until MWSF, was just that. You didn't need to buy anything else, unless you wanted to. And it all fit into one enclosure and there were no excess wires laying around. It was easy to pickup and transport to different locations.

Even during the presentation, they showed the old commercials including the one with all the wires which stresses this very fact.

I never said that you couldn't add speakers. Of course you can if you so desire. That is your option. If you want to clutter up your desk with wires, to have better sound, more power to you. :-)

BTW, the two top end models come with Apple Pro Speakers, so you are paying for them anyway whether you use them or not. At this time, there is no way to purchase either of these iMacs without the speakers. Yeah, the low end model does not come with them, but you can add the Apple Pro Speakers for $59.

IIRC, there is only one Apple computer that came with a good sound system, and that was the TAM which included a scaled down Bose sound system including subwoofer.

I am not saying that the new iMac is a bad device. I sincerely hope they sell well. However, it does miss on the all-in-one concept that the prior iMacs embraced so well, and that IMHO, sux!

Sushi