[NTLK] A passable stylus for the Newt.

From: Chris L. Chapman (pan1k_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 01:42:31 EST

Isn't there a lifetime warranty on the pda panache tips? They'll fix it for
you....right?

-Chris
Begin forwarded message:

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 08:22:35 -0600 (CST)
From: Dustin Long <dlong_at_tamu.edu>
To: newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
Subject: [NTLK] A passable stylus for the Newt.
Sender: newtontalk-bounce_at_newtontalk.net

A while back, I noticed that the accuracy on my MP2k screen was not what
it once was with regards to stylus input. It still works great for HWR
and all that jazz, but I was "missing" the closeboxes more often than
hitting it, having a hard time "resizing" notes in the notepad, etc.

With some critical thinking help from my girlfriend, it became clear to me
that the culprit wasn't anything electronic: over the years, I've managed
to wear the tip of my replacement stylus (a pdapanache chrome one that
I've been very pleased with) so that it's no longer symmetrical -- it's
been flattened out!

Anyway, I've been looking for an adequate replacement stylus (more elegant
than my "swipe a red plastic stylus from the UPS guy" solution) so I
could part with my stylus and have the tip replaced. I picked up a
"PhD @ multi" from OfficeMax and have been very pleased with it.

Unfortunately, it's to large to fit in the stylus holder. Since that's
true, I have to slide it in the case next to my Newt for use in meetings,
etc -- normally that's been a sticking point for me, but the PhD also
serves as a ballpoint pen and a .5mm mechanical pencil. If you don't keep
extra lead for the pencil in the lead reservoir, it doesn't rattle and the
selection of any tip is done with the "twist-a-barrel" method. Once a
tip's selected, I've never had it "unselect" at the risk of scratching my
screen or what have you.

Also, the tip is very similar to the one in my current stylus -- it's a
bright orange bullet-tip. And the "finger area" on the PhD is very
narrow -- almost as narrow as my existing stylus, but pleasantly
triangular in shape with a non-slide grooved texture.

Anyway, I thought I'd pass along that I am having great luck with this
replacement "stylus" and may even be able to part with my "primary" soon
to have it re-tipped.

~Dustin

(who though of marking this post [OT] for "on topic" this morning. ;)