Re: [NTLK] [OT] Bigger than iWalk

From: BK (bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 08:12:59 EST

On Tuesday, January 8, 2002, at 09:55 , Victor Rehorst wrote:

> I do agree with you that CDMA and other "cell" technologies are nothing
> new in some respects, but I'd just like to throw in my $0.02 and say
> that
> these technologies weren't necessarially invented for wireless telephony

Correct. But the cellular system was invented in the early 1950s. That
together with CDMA is pretty much the basis for our latest cellular
phone system today. For the most part it could theoretically have been
built half a century ago albeit at tremendous cost and with very bulky
terminal. In other words it wasn't viable but it would have been
possible.

>> Well, that is at least something tangible. However, we are also being
>> told that we will need broadband 384 kpbs data on our mobile phones. Do
>> we ? What for ?
>
> Apparently, it's so I can get my 8 pixels of screen on my cell phone
> filled even faster. Seriously. IMNSHO, a cell phone is a horrible form
> factor for a web browser.

Totally agree.

> Other information systems, maybe, but WAP is on
> its last gasp and nothing else has come around. I'm sure someone in
> Japan
> will rebuke me though,

Well, I am in Japan and I have a 64Kbps CDMA phone with email and
microbrowser and I won't rebuke you.

> I'm just bitter because I'm in North America and we
> can't get damn cell phone systems right :)

Well, the last word has not been spoken on this, so don't give up on it
just yet ;-)

Where Europe has committed itself for worse or for good to 3G and may
still choke on it, the US might benefit from taking a wait and see
approach. AT&T is rolling out GSM now and 2.5G may eventually become the
gospel of the day, then combined with WiFi technology the US could be
better off than Europe with its 3G adventure.

rgds
bk