Re: [NTLK] Browser

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 14:45:46 EST

> From: "Grant [Luxo Lamp] Hutchinson" <grant_at_splorp.com>
>
> In a previous message, Didier typed vigorously:
>
>> A newbie Question : that is the best freeware (not shareware like Newtscape)
>> Browser to read HTML EBook ?
>
> There's really only three applications that read HTML formatted documents
> on the Newton. NewtsCape (still supported and developed), NetHopper (not
> supported and buggy), and LunaSuite (not supported and really buggy).
>
> http://www.splorp.com/newton/faq/newton-faq-software.html#VD2b
>
> What exactly do you mean by an "HTML eBook"? Do you have an example that
> you could show the list. Maybe there is another solution available.

since Newt's Cape creates a Newton book, it could be especially appropriate
for eBook documents in HTML format. e.g., H1-H6 headings included in Table
of Contents. (also, it's free for 45-day eval period).

(I had looked at an emerging XML book format at one point, but this was
mostly a source format used to generate various proprietary distribution
formats).

there are other solutions though "free" is a somewhat relative term. as
Grant points out, the other Newton browsers provide no support, so you may
spend more time working around problems. for the desktop 'book' tools, if
your eBook is already in HTML format, you'll spend time converting it into
either word processing format for Press or plain text for Paperback.

--
Steve
  weyer_at_kagi.com