Re: [NTLK] [OT] Bigger than iWalk

From: Rhonda Hyslop (rhonda_at_paradox.null)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 19:11:00 EST

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, BK wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 8, 2002, at 05:10 , Rhonda Hyslop
> <rhonda_at_paradox.null> wrote:
>
> > "Many very powerful things are hard to learn how to use, therefore if
> > it's
> > hard to learn or hard to use, it must be powerful."
>
> You mean the logic goes like this: "Newton is easier to use then Palm-
> therefore Palm must be more complex meaning better" ?

Could be. The 'logic' I usually see related to that is something along
the lines of "Macs are easier to learn than Windows, so Macs must be for
dummies" and they see the apple logo on my Newt and say dismissively "Oh,
it's a Mac." Until I show them how it's used, then they think it's cool,
and way better than a palm. Though some of them still thing that the
WinCE machines are better.

Makes no sense to me, but I see it a lot.

> admitted that they could see that the Newton was superior in any aspect.

The only thing I would change about my Newton is the screen resolution.
That and colour is about the only thing 'modern' PDAs have over it, IMO.
And it doesn't really bother me.

> Of course they also tell us that we need 2GHz clock speed on a desktop
> computer. And once we have it they will tell us that we really need
> 3GHz. Do we ? What for ?

hear hear! (she says, posting from a 5 1/2 year old computer - her
primary desktop)

-Rhonda

--
www.write-on.indy || write-on.homeip.net \/ http://paradox.homeip.net/engbook
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project