Re: [NTLK] iWalk

From: aaron.hill_at_au.pwcglobal.com
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 19:36:27 EST

> Now it=B9s all over. I looked on the videos again , and again, and ag=
ain. I
am
> an expert in video and 3d . I showed it to many other experts in that=

area.
> The thing is flawless. There were millions of negative responses on t=
he
net,
> but none of them was indeed critical , most of them were simply emoti=
onal
> exclamations pointing something that is not there to point. Something=

like
> saying that text jiggles, no it doesn=B9t ! As far as noise due to vi=
deo
> compression allows to see the text and the unit are perfectly aligned=
 ,
and
> the bump at the end of one of those movies only supports this.

Denis,

The text movement issue with the iWalk videos is true. A number of peop=
le
are putting together good evidence to show this and they're right. The
device moves while the text is written but the converted text does not
move.

However what this text movement proves I cannot say. Amongst all the pe=
ople
saying this is concrete evidence of a fake I have found a couple of pos=
ts
stating that you simply cannot nit-pick compressed QT movies or JPEG im=
ages
to such a fine level. I tend to agree with this. Yesterday I saved a fe=
pictures of the new iMac off the apple.com site to email to a few of my=

friends. When I looked at the pictures in the email some of the lightin=
effects on the iMac look really ordinary. I'm not into 3D artwork,
rendering or any of that however it's reasonable to believe that images=
 put
through a lossy compression will loose some of their resemblance of a r=
eal
object.

Two recent rumors spring to mind when I think about the critics getting=

things wrong - the Cube and the QuickSilver PowerMac case. Still pictur=
es
of both of these products were leaked to rumor sites and people took to=

them with vigor. In particular I remember one person writing a great de=
al
about the Photoshop "fingerprints" all over the Cube pictures and anoth=
er
person picking the industrial design of the Cube to pieces. What happen=
ed a
few days after the leak? Apple released the products looking exactly li=
ke
the leaked pictures.

But with each occasion the critics are wrong there are plenty of times =
when
they're right. One things for certain though, people love to crucify ru=
mour
sites for giving them what they ask for. If people want concrete eviden=
ce
of what products Apple are going to release then they should stick to
apple.com or timecanada.com.

Another thing people overlook is Apple has to make perfectly normal
business decisions behind the business of giving us cool gadgets, compu=
ters
and software. There was been a very good interview with Steve a few day=
ago where he said Apple learnt a lot from what happened with the Cube a=
nd
those lessons went into making the iMac what it is. Generally I think i=
t's
more reliable to predict what Apple is going to do by studying Apple th=
business more and Apple the product less.

In short I don't think that Apple are going to invite Palms Chief Opera=
ting
Officer, Todd Bradley, up onstage at the MacWorld keynote to talk about=

what's going on with the Palm Pilot, then thank him for attending and
release the iWalk. On the same point Apple are hardly going to
welcome/encourage Palm onto the Mac OS X platform in order to generate
competition for a similar product they intend to release in a few
weeks/months time. Such things are not wise business decisions to make.=

So are Apple going to release a PDA any time into the foreseeable futur=
e?
Not bloody likely. I thought there was a chance before MacWorld but aft=
er
seeing Palm welcomed to the stage I now think otherwise.

Aaron Hill

.
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity t=
material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, o=
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you rece=
ived
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from a=
ny
computer.=