Re: [NTLK] iWalk

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 22:01:40 EST

Denis Krasnov (dkrasnov_at_nyc.rr.com) wrote:

> This is an artefact, and though it has probably originated during encoding
> end only reinforced then you decoded it, it appearance can be minimized by
> using more accurate decoding techniques ( this is what I've done).

In your version, the text "say" moves while the background, though not
rock-solid, does not. The relative motion, however, is still there.

> Now, to see an irrefutable proof that it was an artefact for yourself look
> at the letters "He..", which are being written at the same time. They appear
> to be at a lock with the rest of the screen, to put it in other words only
> the word "Say" jiggles , not all of the text. The contrary would be the case
> if the text was overlaid, to put it differently, if the text was overlaid it
> would appear to jiggle as one - the "He" would jiggle too.

I suppose you refer to the hand-written input, as all the recognized
text, including "hello" and "to", moves in synch? I don't think anyone
claimed that was overlaid as well. As a matter of fact, I think it's
likely that some existing PDA was used for this hoax, so that painting on
the screen was certainly possible. Newton-like HWR, as the movie
allegedly demonstrates, is something else entirely. Not that it would
have been impossible to do a mock-up that appears to do just that, but a
less-than-perfect mock-up plus overlay might have been a more cost-
effective solution.

BTW, what do you make of the fact that one of the images did show a
specifically tailored test page on the SpyMac site? And again, why do you
believe SpyMac can be trusted when these guys have even admitted a fake
(the earlier iWalk images, originally presented as photographs)?

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de
WWW: http://michael-hussmann.de