Re: [NTLK] No new Newton, but Palm might have promise

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 08:16:47 EST

> From: Apostolos Koutropoulos <admiralak_at_yahoo.com>
>
> It's got a built in keyboard ...
> the problem with that unit is that it just looks clunky.

I guess 'clunky' is in eye of beholder.
unit feels light/slim to me.

> Not pocketable -- nice screen, but why is there a need for
> a terminal in a handheld PDA ?

I don't expect most users would drop into shell
(and Sharp needs to make sure that it's really never necessary)
though nice to know that it's avail if a developer or power user needs it.

of course, Newton had "LlamaDOS" ;-)

> --- David Orriss Jr <dave_at_davenet.net> wrote:

>>> What about HWR ?
>>
>> In the new Zaurus? There isn't any.

no cursive/continuous recognizer avail/planned AFAIK, though there is a
print recognizer for individual chars in separate area (not inline).

>From: David Golden <ikondave_at_charter.net>

>I find like many others on
>this list that the lack of compatibility with Apple platforms is a fatal flaw.

I doubt there are any plans to provide Mac-specific tools [and of course,
Apple does reverse discrimination, e.g., iPod compat only w/ Mac]. currently
sync tools are Windows-only, though there is progress on desktop Linux
support, and that makes me think that it might not be a big leap to port
those tools to Mac OS X, esp. since the basic sync uses ftp protocol, and
Names and Dates apps appear to use XML to store data (all pretty standard
compared to the proprietary protocol/formats used by Newton tools).

--
Steve