Re: [NTLK] [OT] Re - Needs

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 23:08:17 EST

ahhh! WIMPS!;-)

I've done this for years! When I was the administrator
of a Strictly Mac Network, (caps for emphasis) I
popped on and off SCSI stuff all the time (I only had
one 8mm tape backup and two servers I needed backing
up. We were still LocalTalk at the time, so copying
across the network was not a good thing) I would take
the drive off of one server (quadra 950) and
>>quickly<< (you know, to get it plugged in between
the electrons...) into my other server (some kind of
SuperMac or other clone, I can't remember) This went
smoothly and flawlessly for several years and only
required a reboot on the rare ocasion when the
electrons were faster than I guessed. In fact, I
continued to do this even after we finally upgraded to
ethertalk! (the network wasn't segmented and 2GB of
data everyday slowed things down a bit!)
Now, for those of the PC bent, I would troubleshoot my
PCs by opening the case and unplugging and plugging
back in video cards, IDE cards and a special POST card
that I used to fix dead MoBos. Talk about exciting!
Open up a computer, start it up, and while it's still
running, quickly pop out the video card and quickly
(again, to get between the electrons!) pop in a more
generic one to make sure it wasn't a video card
problem!
I never had a problem! (well, not that I know...if
there was a problem, then the device was already not
worth salvaging anyway, said the fox about the grapes)
Of course, this is my own experience and as they say,
YMMV!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Dustin Long <dlong_at_tamu.edu> wrote:

> Eek!
>
> You plugged a SCSI device into a machine while it
> was running?
>
> Here's what I've been told: Don't do that. It's a
> "Bad Thing" -- the
> SCSI cables carry power and it's very possible that
> you can blast your
> scsi card (and even stuff close to the card, like a
> video card,
> motherboard, etc) by plugging a SCSI device into a
> chain without powering
> down first.
>
> We even power down our SCSI-connected Solaris arrays
> before adding drives.
> Supposedly, ADB is beholden to similar restrictions,
> although the power
> that an old Mac keyboard/mouse carries is less than
> that of a SCSI
> connection. Other connections, like fibre channel
> (or usb/firewire, for
> that matter) don't require a power-down.
>
> Sounds like you got away with it. But I wouldn't
> recommend pulling the Zip
> back off while it was running. ;)
>
> ~Dustin

<snip>