Re: [NTLK] HELP! MP2100 got wet... what do I do?

From: Michael Bain (UIDnt0102_at_macboy.homeip.net)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 18:50:55 EST

* Michael LaMorte <mike_at_2shea.com> [11 Jan 2002 10:45]:

> Okay, silly me... I took my MP2100 to a bar last night and knocked my
> drink over on it. I immediately wiped it off completely and turned it on,
> and everything worked fine. I breathed a sigh of relief and ordered
> another drink.

(I'm assuming this is a beer, or some other sticky stuff?)

I just talked to the hardware guy at my work, (the guy who cleaned off
the hardware gizmo we make when I dumped my nicely creamed and sugared
coffee all over it). He said it'd be better to try and clean it right
away, before everything dries; however, once stuff has dried the best
thing to do is:

1. remove all power, batteries, cards, etc
2. take the whole thing apart (you're gonna have to clean out all the
nooks and crannies). One of the pages showing a backlight replacement
might be the best reference for that.
3. get a clean spray bottle, and fill it with warmed distilled or
even bottled water. It has to be warmed to help dissolve all the gunk.
4. spray everything down thoroughly enough to get all the gunk
dissolved and rinsed.
5. dab everything dry with a tissue paper.
6. leave all the bits spread apart to dry overnight. If you have a fan
to blow over the bits, this will help everything evaporate.
7. Pray to your favourite deity
8. when you're certain it's completely dry, reassemble, and give it a
try.

Hope that helps.

Mike

--
Michael Bain           | One day I want to look through three hundred
mike_at_macboy.homeip.net | thousand kilometres of space and say: