Re: [NTLK] Simple Mail Problem

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Sat Jan 12 2002 - 15:50:08 EST

>I installed Simple Mail, as a few of you suggested. I set it up in
>accordance to the help file. I wrote a message. Said send. It connected,
>but when It came time for it to transfer it, it said couldn't resolve ip
>address stmp.mac.com or something like that. Anyone knows why that happens.
>I'm sure I have everything in right.

You have to have your mail server entries correct. SMTP servers are for
sending mail, POP servers are for receiving mail, and then in the new
simplemail you have IMAP possibilities too. If you wish to check or send
using mac.com host addresses, revisit the mac.com info pages for how to
spell their server names (I'd tell you but I don't use them- I wasn't aware
that you could check them via POP3, I thought it was a web interface only).

And you have to type the addresses correctly :) spelling counts.

If you are connecting via ethernet and DHCP, something is wrong with your
DHCP server (the domain server isn't getting set correctly).

If you are dialing in via modem and PPP, check and make sure you have a DNS
server specified. It would just be a bunch of numbers, if you are putting
alphabet letters in the DNS entry, that's not right.

You can surf the web right, per your older emails IIRC? That's a sign that
your DNS stuff is correct so you must have the server host(s) set
incorrectly for Simplemail. There's also a package called "thumb" that
lets you do a basic DNS lookup or ping (or both, I forget) to test your
connection- so that you can tell whether or not you really have a working
setup as well as just being able to login.

Simplemail works great, I'm really more sure that you have something 'in
"not quite" right' :) but hope that this gives you some places to start
looking.....