Re: [NTLK] Phone Setter (was Drop-downs....)

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 02:32:44 EST

Fooling around on what is a new Newt site for me (amazing how many Newton
sites there are on this world, never ceases to amaze me when I find another
great one again ;-) I found something answering a question asked on this
list eons ago.

From the read me:
'Phone Setter

A utility to correct a couple of problems with the way phones are listed, a=
far as desktop computer PIMs are concerned.

As of this writing, no PIM program allows you to have more than one phone
number for a particular class=8B =B3Home=B2 and =B3Work=B2 are the two biggies. That
little MessagePad in your coat pocket can handle four =B3Work=B2 numbers for an=
one person or company without even blinking.

If someone has a number for which you don=B9t want to set a particular
location, you can always use the nonspecific =B3Phone.=B2 Desktop PIMs will not
even see this coming, and discard it like yesterday=B9s newspaper. While NOS
2.0 and later MessagePads default to =B3Home=B2 for the phone number, previous
systems (like the MP100) didn=B9t, preferring the less specific =B3Phone.=B2 If
you=B9re like I am and have =B3legacy=B2 data from years of Newton use, or if you
just use =B3Phone=B2 thinking that it was fine and dandy, then you may be in fo=
a rude shock when exporting to a PIM.

So if you have to change your method of record-keeping to adapt to one or
another PIM, you=B9ll need to change a lot of the settings in your Names file=
.
(And excuse me very much, but weren=B9t computers supposed to adapt to us, no=
the other way around? No wonder Windows and Pilots succeeded; people assume
they=B9re at the mercy of their computer systems. Argh.) You can either go
down the list looking for numbers set to =B3Phone=B2 or multiple =B3Work=B2
numbers... or you can use Phone Setter.'

Now I'm puzzled since my 2x00's have been presenting with 'Phone' as the
standard option forever, was there a change back to old routines between OS
2.0 and 2.1 ?

Anyway, I'll certainly give this puppy a test drive ;-)

Robert Benschop