Re: [NTLK] Programming language

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 08:16:28 EST

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, BOURGUIGNON D DvSI/SNPI MTY wrote:

> In searching for informations for developping on your prefered
> computer. Paul said NewtonScript is an excellent one but it's specific
> of the Newton and the code could'nt be reused on other environment.

Well, yes, that's why it's called NewtonScript. It's also specially
suited for dealing with Newtons, and using any of the built-in APIs is
easiest using NS.

> I would like to know if someone have used Waba and his opinion about

Waba's great if you're coming from Java, or doing a port from Java, but
the fact remains that it's a virtual machine and so there is a performance
hit.

> it. In the FAQ, we can see a Basic but it's not free and the assembler
> is not appropriate for my development (a PDF reader). Thanks for your
> help.

I would think that some assembler would be totally approproate for a PDF
reader, considering you're going to have to do a lot of uncooking of the
data, and writing these procedures in assembler would speed things up a
great deal. You totally left out the C++ tools!

http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-development.html#VIIA1b