Re: [NTLK] Synchronizing Date Book Between MessagePads?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 11:11:45 EST

On 18/01/02 00:00, "Samuel Jacobson" <jacobson98_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

> I checked the FAQ and did not see an answer to this one so I thought I
> would ask the group. Is there a way to synchronize a series of
> dates/appointments in the standard Date book between an UMP2000 and a
> MP120, or does one have to manually input the dates/appointments into both
> machines?

I don't think that this has ever been covered before. The first thing to
make sure is that the MP120 is running NOS 2.0. It would be impossible to
synchronize a MP120 running NOS 1.3 with a UPM2000 running NOS 2.1.

That being said, what I would do would be to use SBM Utilities. Make a
backup of the Dates/Appointments onto an external card, bring the card to
the MP120, and restore there. It would help if you would put Utilities on
the card as well.

If you need to do reconciliation, then this wouldn't obviously work and you
would have to do it manually...

-Laurent.

Brooks's Law prov.: "Adding manpower to a late software project makes it
later" -- a result of the fact that the expected advantage from splitting
development work among N programmers is O(N) (that is, proportional to N),
but the complexity and communications cost associated with coordinating and
then merging their work is O(N^2) (that is, proportional to the square of
N). The quote is from Fred Brooks, a manager of IBM's OS/360 project and
author of "The Mythical Man-Month" (Addison-Wesley, 1975, ISBN
0-201-00650-2), an excellent early book on software engineering.