Re: [NTLK] MP2100 homebrew overclock

From: Johannes Wolf (jwolf_at_xe.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 07:35:27 EST

My compliments, Stephanie,

but beeing an electrical engineer I have to admit that I do not really like the very simple solution of switching two crystals and doing this via relatively long wires.
Ok, a frequency of 3 or 5 MHz is still considered to be low, but the wires should be shorter.
What will happen in the moment you switch over? In the first moment there will be no clock at all and then the second crystal will hopefully start to oscillate quickly after being connected to the oscillator.
And because the crystal frequency is multplied it is not clear how the real clock will look like at this moment and how the processor will react...
The idea of Mr. PCBman to switch them electronically seems to be much more safe. And all what you need is a few logic circuits...
But of course you will end up in the need for a PCB and all that staff...
In this respect your solution is much easier of course.
Nevertheless I have some doubts to implement this simple solution.

Johannes