[NTLK] Mini-Review: Sanford Phd Multi

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 12:14:49 EST

Yesterday my dad dropped by and gave me a present: a neat 3-in-1 writing
device with a pen, pencil, *and* a stylus. It's called teh Sanford PhD
Multi. There isn't any info about it on the Sanford website, but this
seller (note: never used them before) has a decent photo:

http://www.styluscentral.com/sanphdmulpen.html

As I sayd, it features three writing tips: a ballpoint pen, a mechanical
pencil, and a stylus. The stylus tip is bright orange, so it's easily
distinguishable from the other two tips. The pen has a nice feel: it's
kind of nice to write with something thicker than my usual eMate stylus,
and a little weird to go back to my eMate stylus after using the PhD for
two hours taking class notes.

The tip seems softer and glides much smoother than my eMate stylus. It's
nice to write with. Only a few hours of using it, and I think I like it
better. Even though it's retractable, the stylus tip is held firmly in
place, and doesn't bend or shear while writing. The triangluar rubber
grip is really comfortable for me. The pen tip is alright
too, and is replaceable. I was told that the pencil only holds two 0.5mm
pieces of lead though, so it might be a drawback if you use a pencil a
lot.

For around $8-10 USD, this seems like a nice all-round writing tool.