Re: [NTLK] SimpleMail, IMAP and other stuffs

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 12:20:09 EST

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Alexander Andrade Le[ISO-8859-1] =E3o wrote:

> -2) What is the difference between POP and IMAP, if we can leave a copy o=
> messages in a POP server and retrieve these emails from other computer, j=
ust
> like IMAP?

In a nutshell, POP is designed only for temporary storage of mail. The
idea is that one downloads all of their mail from the POP server to their
local client all the time. Of course, you can leave it there, but POP
isn't really designed to do this and sometimes keeping track of what has
been downloaded and what hasn't can be difficult.

IMAP, however, is designed for an interactive mail session. Your IMAP
account can hold separate folders, is better suited for partial
downloading of mail, server-side searching, server-side filtering, and
such. With IMAP, for example, you can download just the message headers
and can see in advance that someone has sent you an 8MB attachment. With
POP, you'd have to download the entire 8MB attachment first, which would
suck if you were on a slow connection.

There are tons of papers on the subject: do a google search for "IMAP vs
POP" for more info.

--=20