Re: [NTLK] Canadian US$150 Newt. shipment? (was Re: [ANN] Southern Ontario Newton Group meeting!)

From: ianfoster (ianfoster_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 13:33:03 EST

On 1/21/02 3:18 AM, "Robert Benschop" <rbenschop_at_mac.com> wrote:

>=20
> on 21-01-2002 10:12, Andre Baron at abaron_at_mac.com wrote:
>=20
>> what about other users in france/europe that are
>> interested in cheap newts?
>=20
> Sorry, posted the link to only one Newt, this one is of all of their
> offerings:
> http://www.ebaystores.com/id=3D3993803
> And they ship internationally !
>=20
>=20
> Robert Benschop

Yes......but with no guarantee of it even arriving! These people were not
shipping anywhere but the US last week, and now, all of a sudden, they are,
but with the caveat as above, PLUS: ship costs are what is says on the page
plus the actual costs. Isnt that a bit excessive?
Shipping by USPS internationally is reliable and very little more than
within the US.
And as most western countries have excellent postal systems, it will arrive=
.
(this seller seems to think it might not)

I get the feeling that this seller (and a few others) has the idea that the
Newton is one of those special rare items and that a little gouging is
appropriate.

I run an Internet protected payment service here in Canada, attached to
eBay.ca.
I don=B9t want to advertise that service here - that would be inappropriate,
but I would remind all us Newt afficionados that there are methods of
purchasing on the Net which protect both buyer and seller fully.
These methods can be found in the services section on the top menu on
eBay.com and eBay.ca.

I have seen at least a dozen emails in this list about problems buying from
an eBay auction and seeming to have no real protection once the cash has
been sent to the seller, and faulty goods have arrived.

Caveat Emptor indeed!

Ian Foster, Vancouver