Re: [NTLK] Airport on Newton

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 23:53:49 EST

on 21/01/02 23:02, ianfoster at ianfoster_at_mac.com wrote:

>> This is the website where I got my driver:
>> http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm
>> =20
>> My wireless PC card is a Lucent Technologies WaveLan Silver Turbo 11MB.
>> It is not one of the new Orinoco Silver cards (though, in truth, I don't
>> know how much different they'd be since it's still Lucent). My card
>> dates from 1998. It is 802.11 compliant and has a P/N of 012372A.
>> =20
>> Jim
>> =20
> Thanks Jim,
>
> I did have the driver - I have the same card but it is a 012372C - its the
> 2001 model, so maybe a slight change.
> Anyway, it doesn=B9t recognise it and doesn=B9t do anything.
> Ah well!

I think that Paul Guyot did explain what's happening here. Roughly, any
driver will be asked what kind of cards it can recognize. When a card is
inserted, there is a string that is returned by the card to the OS as the
product ID, or something like that. If no driver match that string, the card
will be reported as unrecognized. The current alpha driver only recognizes a
specific, 1st generation WaveLan card. It only works in the "ad-hoc" mode,
i.e. no base station. And, although I'm not 100% sure, I would guess that it
won't work with any encryption active.

-Laurent.

bug-compatible adj.: [common] Said of a design or revision that has been badly compromised by a requirement to be compatible with fossils or misfeatures in other programs or (esp.) previous releases of itself. "MS-DOS 2.0 used \ as apath separator to be bug-compatible with some cretin's choice of / as an option character in 1.0."