[NTLK] Emate NOS 2.2

From: Stephanie Maks (steph_at_maksystems.com)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 12:41:46 EST

Hi everyone.

I was having some more fun with system patches, and blew away the one in my
emate.

Prior to this, my emate's NOS verson was listed as verion 2.1 (737246-1). I
have the memory upgrade card in it, which worked fine, system memory was
listed as just under 4000K and the free heap hovered around 400k.

After removing the system patch, it lists the NOS version as 2.2.00-0 which
I found sort of interesting. I recall on the list a while back someone
asking about / commenting on a rare or unusual emate with version 2.2, but
it seems this is older than the patched version 2.1.

Maybe because the eMate had Newton Works in ROM, or the classroom / teacher
functions, they decided to call it 2.2 instead of 2.1? Then perhaps changed
their minds and patched it back to 2.1 for some reason. Also noteworty, is
that the two ROM-chips have version 2.2 printed on them along with the part
numbers.

As best I can tell, all the built-in programs work the same as they did
before. The only difference is that version 2.2 does not increase the
'heap' with the memory upgrade. That is, with 2.1 (737246) and 4MB DRAM the
max 'heap' was 500K, and with 2.2 and the 4MB DRAM the max 'heap' is only
250K.

The memory info slip from the extras-drawer does indicate 4008 K of DRAM so
I know the upgrade is recognized.

Anyways, just thought I'd share it with the group. I'm not going to put the
patch back in yet, since the eMate is working fine without it and I like
seeing the 2.2 version.

By the way, removing the system patch from the eMate turned into a real
nail-biter. It booted once and said something to the effect that it was
erasing it's internal store, then it turned off again....and was two whole
days before it would boot. I thought for sure I'd killed it. So playing
with system patches can be risky business.

-Stephanie

p.s. I'm getting the max heap numbers from the 'Heapshow' program that was
included with Newton Toolkit.