Re: [NTLK] Linux on a PDA - Come on people!

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 11:31:18 EST

Chris Myers wrote:

> After trying to find pictures of a Next keyboard I happened to stumble
> on the Linux watch project at IBM.

> Who says you can't fit Linux or Unix on a PDA?
>
> Just goes to show that the best stuff on the Internet is found by
> accident.

Linux on PDA's is not exactly breaking news anymore. Several Linux-based
models are available off-the-shelf, an almost-ready distribution exists
for the Compaq iPaq, and at least one developer that I know of (LinuxDA)
is developing a distribution for the Palm line of PDA's (amazing as this
may sound - I haven't been able to try it though, as the Palm IIIc
happens to be one of the not yet supported models).

The very modular nature of the Linux operating system makes it a rather
good platform for PDA's, contrary to the monolithic and bulky Windows
operating theatre <G> but, although I am a very big fan of Linux, I must
admit that the Newton OS has come over to me as the most capable PDA OS
yet (I have used Psion Organisers, several proprietary organisers, Psion
Series 3a, Palm IIIc and - recently - the Newton). (*)

The only drawback of the Newton is its printing subsystem (Psion has a
truly excellent one, Palm's is non-existent), which could be improved
immensely.

Anyone up for a port of GhostScript to the Newton?

(*) Newtons are great, but... If anyone managed to produce a Linux-based
PDA with a 2100 form factor and a user interface/HWR engine that equals
Newton's, I'll be getting a second mortgage and buy the sucker!

--
Karel Jansens
kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be

"We're here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and we're all out of gum." (Dr. Zulu of Team Diotoir on Robot Wars Extreme)