[NTLK] about sync'ing with Claris Organizer

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 09:13:56 EST

It was soooo easy to get all my names, along with emails and all the
"notes" for each entry ( I use that a lot) out onto the desktop, sync'ing
via NCU to an empty CO file.

The directions on how to do this with a minimum of issues are on the Hints
section of ThisOldNewt.

The only thing that was a little unexpected, and I'll admit I've not fixed
it yet- it appears that NCU treats entries in person and company cards
differently. For all my Company cards, usually I just have a phone and
fax- I usually put sales contacts under their own name, I guess I'm a
people person.

Anyway, when designating my field mappings, I mapped all the phones numbers
to phone number fields (phone 1 2 3 etc) in CO; this worked perfectly for
"person" entries. But with "Company" entries, the fax number came out in
CO where expected, but any other phone number was put into one of the
leftover "custom" fields. Even though most individuals had 2 phones, and
companies had 2 phones, something different happened to the phone field for
companies. (I at first thought that I'd just had more than 2 phone entries
for some of them, and the "extra" one went to a custom field, but that's
not the case). I have enough company entries that I'm going to play with
it some more, rather than cut/paste to get items in order in CO.

I'd set it up so that everything that looked like an obvious match got
routed appropriately, then all the fields that I was not sure I actually
had data in on the Newton side, went to custom fields in CO (I didn't want
to lose anything). But for company cards, something weird happened with
the main company phone.

Now that everything's in a CO dbase, I guess I'll see what other apps can
read CO files, too.